To improve lives through resilient businesses and risk-calculated investments that have a meaningful and lasting impact on the country’s economic and social landscape.
The Sustainable Development Goals gave us a perfect framework to which we can align ourselves and provides us with the opportunity to further our commitment to nation-building. We took a systematic approach in determining how we can significantly contribute to the SDGs and operated under these five principles:
- That we take an Outside-in perspective, where we carefully assess the external environment and how we can relevantly contribute.
- That our executives across the group take demonstrate Bold Leadership by making a firm commitment to linking the businesses to the SDGs and communicating related efforts.
- That we put emphasis on creating Impact at Scale with a long-term view, ensuring the continuity and magnitude of the positive effects we intend to make.
- That our companies put Focus on the SDGs that are naturally related to their business.
- That we recognize that Public-Private Partnerships are essential in scaling sustainability, and this, in turn, adheres to SDG 16 and 17.
We identified three megatrends that are relevant to the Ayala Group and also pose as the biggest challenges to Filipinos today:
- Marginalization – the phenomenon where the majority of the population lacks access to basic necessities and thus affects the overall well-being of households
- Untapped Potential – refers to the challenges faced by the working class due to underemployment, unemployment, and lack of access to services and conveniences that could aid them in performing at their best at work, and
- Irresponsible Growth – highlights the unrestrained and careless development of organizations that affect the environment, thereby affecting the future of the next generations.
From these, we envisioned the Filipino of 2030 as someone with a better quality of life and is a responsible global citizen. To do so, Ayala firmly committed to three journeys:
- Access & Inclusivity Journey – where we will ensure that Filipinos have access to basic needs such as safe and clean water, health services, education, and sanitation. This prioritizes the vulnerable sector.
- Productivity & Competitiveness Journey – where we will enable the Filipino by ensuring they have the necessary infrastructures, technology, products, and services that would aid them in functioning at their best in a globally connected economy.
- Responsible Growth & Innovation Journey – where we will enhance resilience against climate hazards and manage negative impacts to the environment and communities. It comes with the aim to reduce reliance on fossil fuels and giving opportunities for more sustainable lifestyle alternatives.
Within the three journeys are our business units that advocate SDGs which naturally fall in place per journey and are directly aligned to their industry. Each company has set core and stretch targets that will be annually measured and reported until 2030.
Ayala Corporation champions SDGs 8, 12, and 13. The following Ayala companies are also involved in this endeavor:
- Ayala Foundation Inc (AFI)
- AC Health
- Manila Water Co. (MWC)
- Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI)
- AC Infra
- Globe Telecom
- Ayala Land Inc. (ALI)
- AC Energy
- AC Industrials
With the Ayala sustainability Blueprint, Ayala continues to create shared value and remain committed to our promise of reinventing businesses and transforming communities. All targets are slated to be fully measured until 2030 – the same time of global reckoning of the SDGs.