In this episode of the McKinsey Global Institute’s Forward Thinking podcast, guest interviewer Jonathan Woetzel talks with Ron O’Hanley.
State Street has committed to making its portfolios carbon neutral by 2050, and O’Hanley talks about how his own organization is trying to meet that target but also helping customers to develop sustainability strategies. Among other topics on his mind are the pandemic, which dramatically illuminated vulnerabilities in societal linkages; the growth potential of digital finance; and the importance of affordable housing.
He answers questions including the following:
- What will it take to make State Street’s portfolios carbon neutral by 2050?
- How will advances agreed at COP26 in Glasgow affect the climate agenda and State Street’s business?
- How does stepped-up investment in digital finance lead to growth?
- Is there a trade-off between growth and inclusivity?
- What are policy unlocks needed to create a sustainable, inclusive growth cycle?