- Work with governments, trade unions, and investors to promote policies for just energy transition and review existing investments, lobbying activities, and collaborations to ensure compliance with just energy transition.
- Disclose process(es) for reviewing the alignment of company lobbying activities with policies and regulations supporting just transition methodologies.
- Disclose any misalignment of lobbying activities with policies and regulations supporting just transition and plans to address misalignments.
- Participate in international forums advocating for policies supporting development of net-zero technology and protecting impacted communities and workers.
See it in action
SSE’s electricity distribution business, SSEN Distribution, commissioned, alongside others, a report from the Centre for Sustainable Energy exploring social justice in the future energy system.
The Phase One Report, published in September 2020, outlines the analytical framework to examine how the Transition to a net-zero energy system can be both smart and fair. While the report makes recommendations to Ofgem (the UK energy regulator), the UK Government, and consumer advocates, there are also recommendations for energy practitioners (network companies and suppliers) too.
In June 2021, Reliance Industries developed a 3-part plan to transition to new energy through a $10bn investment and an ambition to enable 100GW of Solar Energy by 2030. The transition aims to be inclusive and will support thousands of medium and small enterprises and create hundreds of thousands of new jobs.
- Building 4 Giga factories, (an integrated Solar photovoltaic module factory, an advanced energy storage battery factory, an electrolyser factory, and a fuel cell factory)
- Investing in infrastructure and materials through investments in independent manufacturers, partnerships and technology
- Repurposing Reliance’s engineering, project management and construction capabilities to create a dedicated Renewable Energy Project Finance and Management Construction Division.
Who's measuring these actions?
We provide alignments with popular progress assessments to offer context and connection within the broader Just Transition movement.
Just Transition Indicator 6: The company discloses any misalignment of its lobbying activities with policies and regulation that support the just transition and discloses the measures it takes to address misalignment.
The company lobbies for policies and regulation for green and decent job creation; retention, education and reskilling; and social protection.
Disclosure Indicator 9 – Just Transition
Sub-indicator 9.4 – Action:
Metric a) The company supports low-carbon initiatives (e.g. regeneration, access to clean and affordable energy, site repurposing) in regions affected by decarbonization.